6 questions about coffee you’re ashamed to ask the barista

6-questions-about-coffee

Everyone has doubts. Some of them are pretty natural. And in terms of coffee, you don’t have to be ashamed. There’re so many names, types, origins of coffee that: or you are a coffee expert, or you just don’t know most of the names related to coffee. We are here to help you, as we also made the same questions.

1. What’s the difference between light roast and dark roast?

In a short answer, the beans are roasted for a long period of time and at higher temperatures in a dark roast. To understand better, a light roast has the same amount of caffeine as the dark roast. Yet has also a sweet and floral flavor and its country of origin is more prevalent in the flavor.

On the other hand, a dark roast is not necessarily “stronger”, it’s just different. It’s like comparing an IPA to a stout – the 2 aren’t compared just by their “strength”, but in terms of richness, complexity, and how they’re prepared. And of course, dark roast has a bittersweet flavor.

2. What’s the difference between Arabica and Robusta?
So, Arabica and Robusta are two different species of coffee, and all the coffee you drink falls into one of these two categories. Robusta coffee plants can grow at lower altitudes and produce fruit more quickly than Arabicas. Robustas mostly come from Africa and Indonesia, while the more-expensive Arabica beans primarily come from Latin America.

Arabica is sweeter, softer and has as half as much caffeine as Robusta. Robusta has twice as much caffeine as Arabica and has a stronger and harsher taste.

30% of the world’s coffee is Robusta, while the other 70% belongs to Arabica.

3. What’s the difference between an expresso and a drip?

An expresso has more caffeine, and is done with a fine grind, high pressure and has a crema. For a drip you find less caffeine, and use a coarse grind, no pressure and no crema.

In fact, an expresso is made by forcing very hot water under a high pressure through a finely ground coffee. This high pressure produces a “crema”, which is the creamy, golden layer floating on the top of an expresso. Combining the crema with steamed milk is what creates the texture and flavor of a latte.

The drip is made by pouring boiling water over a medium-course grounds. This passes through a filter and winds up in a coffee pot.

4. What’s the difference between a caffé latte and a cappuccino?

A cappuccino is prepared with less steamed milk, but actually ends up with more milk foam on top than latte.

So, a caffé latte as a little bit of foam on the top, contains more steamed milk than a cappucciono and has a cremier flavor. On the other hand a cappuccino has lots of foam on the top, contains less steamed milk than a latter, and has a drier flavor.

5. What’s the difference between a caffé latte and a caffé au lait?

The two have coffee and milk. The difference, basically, is that a latte is made from espresso and a café au lait is made from drip coffee.

6. What’s the difference between espresso and expresso?

When you say “espresso” you’re actually saying “press out” in Italian. How awesome is this? While when you say “expresso” you’re actually saying “I’m a moron” in English.